Thursday, February 03, 2005

31 January 2005

Today is Lillian's first day at the child care centre at Melbourne Uni. They have considered my disability and accepted her this year. Originally, we were hoping to send hvber to the Wimble Street Childcare centre (just across the road from our house) but unfortunately, their policy is to take priority of the siblings of the existing children at the centre. Tim tried calling them to make an appointment to see the co-ordinator to see if they will make a special consideration for Lillian because of my disability. They were not helpful at all! Although Lillian is already on the waiting list (since last year), she is at the bottom of the list because the other babies already have siblings at the centre and they get first priority. They told Tim that there's no way Lillian could get in this year. I felt like saying to the parents (all the parents are committee members)that I wish they will never be sick - because I'd never thought this could happen to me. I just hope that other people will be more compassionate when they have fallen ill. Very few people would think about their own mortality when things are going fine with them. It's very easy to forget how vulnerable we all are.

I packed Lillian's bag last night so I didn't have to rush in the morning. My mum called about 8.30 a.m. to tell us that she's stuck in the traffic and will meet us at the childcare centre. She's so worried that Lillian would not settle at childcare so she planned to spend half a day there with Lillian. Tim and I took Lillian to the 'Wombat Room' - for kids between 11 to 18 months. Many kids were there already and most of them were crying. It was quite chaotic. Lillian didn't seem to mind all the chaos. She's been standing at a cornor and was playing by herself. We left after my mum turned up. Tim had to take me to my orthopaedic appointment.

Martin Richardson, my orthopaedic, checked my shoulder and was very impressed with the result. He said the subluxation has completed gone and it's now time for more strength training. Thanks to Neil and Rosemary that my arm and shoulder have recovered well!

My mum dropped in around 1.30 p.m. She said Lillian seemed to be fine at the childcare centre so she left her there. She's a bit worried that no one paid any attention to Lillian because she wasn't crying while all the other kids were crying.

Neil came around later in the afternoon to help me with my arm exercises. Again, he was pushing me hard - a bit like that cockroach in the energy drink commercial!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home