Tuesday, January 25, 2005

25 January 2005

I think my luck with taxi has improved. The taxi turned up on time again this morning with no dramas. It may be because there is a new patient who lives in Gatehouse Street share the taxi with me on Tuesday mornings and the taxi needs to pick me up first.

We got to the centre about 8.30 a.m. - half an hour before my appointment with Fiona (physio). I sat down and chatted with the person who shared the taxi with me for a bit. It turned out that he's been living at his house in Gatehouse St since the Royal Children's Hospital moved to Parkville. He used to be a doctor working at the Royal Children's. I didn't even know that Royal Children's was somewhere else before. That must be a long time ago! When it's about 8.50 a.m. I thought I'd better move on and go to the physio gym on time. When I got to the gym, Fiona was not there so I sat down in the waiting area. I waited there impatiently until Fiona finally showed up at about 9.10 a.m.

Fiona looked at my walking again today and got me to practice in front of a mirror and within the physio walking rails. It reminded me of practicing the 'rumba walks' in front of a mirror at a dance studio. I have been practicing walking at home but not in front of a mirror. I think I just need to practice this a few hours a day every day - a bit like dance training.

The next thing Fiona got me to do is practice the same thing but without holding the rails with both hands. I found this quite hard so in the end I cheated a little bit by resting my right hand on the rail a little bit. I did this for about 5 minutes and then unfortunately Fiona's other patient turned up so she put me on the treadmill and left me there. I found this a bit annoying. I think I can do the treadmill in my own time at home (my parents have one which they're not using so I'm thinking of borrowing that one from them). To add to my frustration, her other patient, Andrew (someone I know from "Life Moves"), does not have too much motor skills problem and today he has a sore back. I guess I'm just feeling a bit anxious that I'll be discharged from MECRS soon but I'm not quite recovered yet. I don't like it when I only have 10 or 15 minutes with the physio in my session when I think I need it a lot more than someone who has a sore back!

After about 10 minutes on the treadmill, I decided it was enough for me and I think it's time Fiona sets me to do some useful walking exercises so I switched off the machine and walked up towards Fiona and Andrew. They were still busy so I sat down on a chair and waited for a while. I looked around to see if there is any vacant walking rails so I can go and practice my walking there. I found one in the gym next door so I went up there and started my walking practice. Fiona came over shortly and told me it's time to look at my arm. She had a sheet with different types of tests with her - it's another assessment. She got me to pick up marbles from one cup and place them in another cup and a few other tasks. I got full marks for all the tests. She asked me if there's anything I cannot do with my hand. I felt like saying 'playing the piano'(I don't know how to play the piano anyway). She commented on how my hand seems to have improved a lot. I felt like saying :'yes. thanks to Neil and Rosemary but no credits to MECRS' I hate to imagine what my hand or arm would be like without the help of Neil and Rosemary.

Rosemary came over this afternoon. She has an exercise book with her - she's thought about the new exercises I need and set me a comeplete new set of upper limb exercises.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home