Wednesday, February 09, 2005

10 February 2005

Rosemary came to help me with my upper limb exercises. She said both her and Neil read my diary were very happy to hear about Gavin will work me hard if and when I go to Epworth. She must be influenced by Neil and Gavin - she's been pushing me pretty hard today as well. When she found out that I had difficulty going down stairs without support (like what Gavin got me to do yesterday), she made me go up and downstairs (with rails) at least 10 times! My thigh was very sore after that! Rosemary also brought a stake with her to point at various directions for me to reach for it- she used it last time as well. Last time she had a bow on it and this time, it's a mouse with pink ears. I think her cat, Peter, will be so envious of me if he finds out!

In the afternoon, I had my hydro and physio sessions at MECRS. In the hydro session, Fiona asked me if I'd be interested in joining a swimming group on Friday mornings. I told her that I'm interested but I wasn't much of a swimmer before. She told me that's ok because some people join just to learn how to swim. She said she'll get me to try swimming after I finish all my exercises. She put a float under my tommy and I was doing my breast stroke with my head above the water. This was so much better than last time I tried (must be around September or October last year). Although I still found it difficult to go in a straight line, at least I wasn't going in a circle last time. I'm pretty sure I was paddling with both arms and legs.

My physio session was not as exciting as my hydro session. I had a quick shower after hydro so I could get to my physio on time (my physio starts at 2.00 pm. same time my hydro finishe - I knowI wouldn't be there on time but I want to get there as early as possible). Unfortunately, the lift was not working so I had to wait for a while. By the time I got to the physio gym, it was already 2.20 p.m. The gym looked very crowded today. I spotted Fiona in her office but she's on the phone. I was quite anxious that time's ticking away so I went to set up the mirror in front of the walking rails and started my walking practice. Fiona came up to me later and asked me if I felt very tired from Tuesday's session - that she got me to work on the trampoline. I told her I was fine. I didn't tell her that I found Gavin's session much more tiring! She then put me on the treadmill again. She increased the speed again this time but I found it bearable. After the treadmill, she got me to do some quads exercises in keenling position - something I really hate because everytime I kneel, my ankle keeps inverting. Her other patients have turned up. I know from this point on, I would have to work on my own because she will have to attend to them. I did the exercises for a while and when it's 3 pm. I told her I had to go - I have a deep tissue massage appointment with Judy at 3.45 pm.

I told the receptionist that I'm ready to go home and thought she'd book a taxi for me. Being a staff at MECRS, I should know better. I was quite anxious to get home because I didn't have Judy's number with me, I couldn't ring her to let her know that I might be a bit late. About 3.25 p.m. the receptionist told me that she hasn't booked a taxi for me yet because there is someone else live in Parkville as well and I have to wait for him so we can share a taxi. I wish she had told me this earlier. I told her that I have an appointment at home at 3.45 p.m. but she said if they let me go first, they will need to issue another cabcharge for the other patient. I felt like telling her that it's not my problem if they have to do that. I probably saved them so much in taxi fares by living so close to the centre, imagine how much it would cost if I live in Epping.

Judy was already outside the house when I got home. She was so relaxed about it and commented that she's only been waiting for 2 minutes. I told her about my appointment with Gavin and she felt very excited for me. She said she couldn't help smiling. I also found out a bit more about her - she has a master in music and Phd in physics. She used to be a pianoist and was performing until 1994. This explains why she has such strong fingers! When I told her about how Gavin was trying to get me to go downstairs without rails and I had problem doing that, she tried to get me to practice that, too. It's very nice of her to be so enthusiastic about my progress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home