Sunday, February 13, 2005

14 February 2005

I didn't have any appointment this morning but I still got up around the same time. It's pretty hard to sleep in when Lillian is around. After Tim has taken Lillian to childcare, I started on my exercise bike. My legs are still a bit tired from yesterday - I walked to St Carthages for the Sunday mass and back (by myself) - first time I've attended a mass by myself since the operation.

Last week, I spoke to Catherine, a friend of my brother and sister in law, who visited me quite often when I was an in-patient at MECRS. I've asked her to come for afternoon tea today and she said she'd drop in around 4 p.m. This gives quite a bit of time to tidy up the house - at least the kitchen and dinning area. After cleaning up the dinning table (which was occupied by my exercise materials), I unloaded the dishwasher with my left hand(something that I do everyday now)and hung up the washings on the clothes line (mostly with my right hand although I know I should be doing this with my left hand).

I put on my contact lenses and started my to do list. I heard the front gate opened and it was Catherine. She turned up early! I felt a bit bad because she brought her lunch with her and it was too early to offer her the afternoon tea stuff I had prepared earlier. It's very nice of her to come to see me. She commented how much progress I've made since she last saw me. She noticed my pile of tax legislations and other books. I had to explain to her that I wasn't reading all those books - I use them for my exercises. I demonstrated Neil's Mt Everest exercise and she's quite impressed by what I can do now. I felt a bit anxious when talking to her. I couldn't help keep looking at her watch to check the time - I have a driving lesson at 2 p.m. and I still need to get ready.

Before I had a chance to make an excuse and use the bathroom, the doorbell rang - it's the driving instructor. I felt bad that I didn't really have much time to talk to Catherine and had to rush her off so I could have my driving lesson. She said she'll call me later to arrange a time we can go to their place.

The driving instructor seems ok - didn't ask any questions about what happened to me. I told him that I had a neurological event and have to go for another driving test. His car is a Toyota, which makes indicating easier (the indicators are on the right with Japanese cars). I was a little bit nervous since I haven't been driving for so long. He kept reminding me of the traffic rules etc but I couldn't remember a lot of them - I couldn't remember that you have to keep one car's distance when stopping(at a red light). I still found it a bit difficult to turn the steering wheel with left hand so when going around a roundabout or when turning, I found it a bit hard to control the steering wheel. I think I just need a bit more practice. I'm going to have another lesson tomorrow.

Tim picked up Lillian from the childcare centre later in the afternoon. I asked him if she had a good day, he told me no. Apparently, she's got hives. I don't even know what that is. I have to look up on the internet for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home