Thursday, December 16, 2004

16 Dec

16 December

My physio session at MECRS was in the morning. I normally have physio and hydro on Thursday afternoons but Fiona asked me a few weeks ago if I’d like to have a join session with other physios - like brain storming sessions for them to think about how to improve my gait.

I must admit that I don’t like those morning sessions – I’m always anxious about my taxi. I called them before 8.30 a.m. just to be sure they have arranged a taxi for me as I don’t normally go in on Thursday mornings.

The taxi turned up on time and I was at the physio gym before 9 a.m. There was no sight of Fiona so I sat down outside the gym to wait for her. She finally turned up at about 9.15 a.m. and asked me to go in the gym. Jane, Emily and Margaret were the other physios in the session. They asked me to walk around with the stick first and then without the stick and then with bare feet. It was pretty hard walking with bare feet because my ankle kept inverting. Finally, they got me to walk around with the dynamic AFO on. It’s still very uncomfortable to wear so they think it might need to be further adjusted. Jane was the only one who provided some suggestions – when I take a step, I need to push off through the backfoot.

In the afternoon, I had another appointment with Judy for deep tissue massage. It’s been almost two weeks since I had my last massage. Judy thinks I probably need it every week because my muscles are too tight after 2 weeks. She’s a bit worried that I’m not taking proper stride when I’m walking and that’s not giving the hip extensors a good stretch. She showed me the walking exercises I should do to stretch the muscles – it’s pretty much like what Tim was helping me to walk without a stick when I first got home from MECRS. She’s also very concerned that when I’m in Canberra I don’t get physio or hydro sessions has urged me to get MECRS to refer me to at least somewhere I can have a few hydro sessions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home