Wednesday, May 11, 2005

10 May 2005

I was feeling very flustered this morning. I planned to leave the house by 8.30 a.m. the latest to go to my self help group hydro at MECRS. Tim had to run a tutorial for a group of lawyers so he and Lillian left quite early. The builders have returned to key to me yesterday so I can't just leave the house before they show up. They told me they'd be here by 8 a.m. but I waited and waited and waited and there is no sight of them. By 8.15 a.m.,they still have not turned up and I started to panic. I called Tim and asked if it's ok for me to just go to my hydro before they show up because I don't know what time they'll turn up. He suggested that I hide the key under a pot plant and he'll call them to let them know where to get the key. I didn't want anyone to see I was hiding a key so I left my bag and my stick in the ho use while went to hide the key. The phone was ringing but I didn't have time to answer it. As I was walking to the car, the builders turned up. I was probably not very diplomatic because I was quite upset they were half an hour late. I said to one of them that I have to go and gave him the key and commented that I thought they'd be here by 8 a.m. He blamed it on the traffic. I felt like saying that trarffic is bad every morning though. It would be more plausible if he blamed it on a traffic accident I thought.

I drove to MECRS as quick as I could. I was going to park at my usual disabled parking spot but when I looked at the dashboard, I noticed my disabled parking permit was missing. I couldn't see it on the floor. It's possible that Tim dropped it somewhere while loading up the equipments I was to return to MECRS. I thought it's time to return the kitchen trolley, kitchen stool and commode. They all came home with me last September but I don't really need them anymore. I never actually used the commode, apart from using it like a chair when I was getting dressed and undressed for the shower.

I thought I had to go to the commercial car park since I didn't have my permit with me. When I drove pass the building where the pool is, I realised there are so many disabled parking spots right outside the backdoor of the hydro pool but I couldn't park there without the sticker. I went to the commercial carpark but couldn't find the ticket machine. I got off the car and tried to see what other cars did and then decided to have another search of the sticker. I looked everywhere on the floor but couldn't find it. Just when I was about to give up searching, I thought I'd better check the pocket on the door, just in case it fell in there. I'm glad I looked because that's exactly where it was. I was quite excited that I found it because this means I can park right outside the pool!

I planned to return the equipments after my hydro. I know the patient appliance centre is located at Park House but I had no idea where it was. When I looked up on the map posted on the internet, I sort of had an idea where it might be so I thought I'd just drive around till I find it. I stopped at a parking lot where I think Park House is so I parked the car and thought I'd better find someone who can help me unload the equipment. I actually called John, the person who works in patient appliance centre yesterday and was told that he'd help me to carry all the stuff. I walked around but could not find the entrace to the building so I decided to go to the reception and get some direction. It's kind of strange that all the time I was there, I had never been to that part of MECRS. The person behind the reception desk gave me a map and showed me where to go. I went back to the car and the sun was quite blinding even with my sunglasses on. I probably didn't pay enough attention because I actually managed to reverse into another parked car. It wasn't a loud bump but I was worried that I might have damaged the boot and wouldn't be able to open it to get the kitchen trolley out. I got off the car to examine the damage but couldn't see any. There was nobody around so I got back into the car and drove off.

I found Park House eventually and I think I have been there before. I remember Danika, my OT when I was an in patient at MECRS, took me there once to look at the scooters. This was before I was discharged and they didn't know if I'd be able to walk very far so they thought I might be interested in getting a scooter so I can be more mobile if I want to go somewhere. In hind sight, I'm really glad Tim thought it was a horrible idea and talked me out of getting one. I went in there and found John. He went to the car and picked up all the equipment I wanted to return. The only equipment I have from MECRS now is the walking stick. I haven't told him that I still have it. I'm only keeping it for when I go to the pool. It's very hard to walk to the change room from the pool barefeet. It's for the same reason that I haven't asked Gavin to update my hydro program. I'm too scared that he'll make me carry my bag and shoes and walk to the change room barefeet without my walking stick.


Tim hired an elliptical cross trainer for me which is a bit more compact than the one I borrowed from Ivana while we were in Canberra. I gather I'll use it for a few months to strengthen my leg and then move onto something else so it's better for me to hire than to buy so I don't end up with another junk to store away.

Rosemary came in the afternoon to help me with my exercises. I showed her the Windsor pilates tape I started to use yesterday. I bought the DVD last year, after giving birth to Lillian. I saw an ad on TV when I was expecting and thought about buying it but it's quite expensive so I did't get it straight away. A few months later, I saw it at K-Mart but it's not a complete set. It's targeted at upper body only. I haven't used it until yesterday. On the cover, it says the exercises aim to work at the arm and shoulder which is just what I need now. I found a lot of the exercises too hard for me to do so I was showing them to Rosemary. She thought many of them look quite hard and she probably won't be able to do them either.

She asked me to show her the shoulder exercises Gavin set for me so I did a full set of those. The phone rang and it was Tim on the phone passing on a message to Rosemary from Neil. Neil wanted to tell Rosemary that he's caught in the tutorial till 5.15 p.m. and she can either wait or go home. Rosemary was waiting to pick up Neil after his class since he is still not feeling well after the bike incident he had yesterday. Neil was coming to my place to help me with my exercises. Instead of walking, he decided to ride his bike and he fell from his bike and landed on his hands. He looked really pale when he turned up yesterday and his hand was bleeding. We didn't end up doing any exercises because he was not well at all. We were all very worried about him but he insisted that he was ok.

While we were waiting for Neil, I went through a full set of Rosemary's exercises. Rosemary noticed that I was able to shrug my left shoulder a bit more than last time I saw her. I don't know if it's due to improved strength in my shoulder or something else because when I was in Canberra, I was working madly on building up muscles on both the arms and leg but didn't do too much of other exercises.

Neil turned up after his classes. He looked very tired. He said he just wanted to go home and go to bed so Rosemary took him home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home