Tuesday, May 03, 2005

28 April 2005

I haven't published the diary for a while because we are in Canberra and there has been a lot of interruptions. I have only just managed to get back to it.

The bathroom people told us they'd be here between 7 am and 9 am. I was worried that they'd turned up at 7 am sharp so I got up just about 6.30 a.m., had a shower, used the toilet and was all ready for them to come. Tim had to go to a meeting from 11 am to 12.30 p.m. so I had to wait for him to come back before we leave for Canberra.

The workmen didn't turn up until about 9 a.m. I was feeling quite tired by this time. The thought of not being able to use the toilet for so many hours has almost given me a bladder problem. I didn't like the thought of being in the house alone with the workmen so I went to the study and started typing my diary. Unfortunately, the laptop ran out of battery within about 15 minutes so there was nothing I could do. Tim has taken the power cord with him to the meeting so there was no way I could recharge the battery. I didn't want to just stay in the study and do nothing so I went to the kitchen and continued with packing - such as cutting up some fruit for the long trip. As I walked down the hallway, one of the workmen saw me and noticed that I was limping and asked me what happened to my leg. I was dreading that they may ask that. Didn't want to give them too much information so I just said 'it's a bit complicated' and walked off. I didn't think it was necessary for me to provide them with all the deails. I guess, at least they didn't ask me what my mother's maiden name was (a joke from the comedy festival we went to).

I was quite upset when Tim came back and had a pee in the backyard. I was busting as well but I couldn't just go to the backyard and do it there. It's always easier for men. Tim said I could go to the toilet when we pick up liilian at the childcare. We didn't leave the house till almost 2.30 p.m. By the time we picked up Lillian and filled up the petrol, it was already pretty late. I think it's going to be a long and tiring drive.

We were all very tired and hungry by the time we got to ALbury. Tim suggested that we stop by and have some dinner in Albury. We drove pass a pizza place and it looked ok. Tim asked me if I felt like having pizza. I was quite hungry and didn't really mind what we have, my only concern, however, is whether people would be staring at me while I limp all the way from the carpark to the restaurant. We drove pass it and Tim wanted to see if there is any other options. It must be the main street of Albury because there are several cafes and restaurants along the street. I didn't really want to go to somewhere that's too crowded so we drove up a bit further and found another pizza restaurant. We went in there and it's actually pretty quiet in there. We sat down and looked at the menu. Tim decided not to stay there because he thinks the food looks pretty average. We ended up going to an Indian restaurant a few doors away from the pizza place. The owner is Indian so I guess the food shouldn't be too bad. We were pleased to know that they actually have high chairs for children. She got one of those high chairs for Lillian so we all sat down to have a family meal. The restaurant filled up quickly as we were waiting for our food. I had my back to the other tables so I could not really see them. The food was not too bad but we were eager to hit the road again as soon as we finished the sweets we ordered for Lillian but she didn't want.

It was pretty lated by the time we got to Helen and Mal's place in Canberra. I know they are actually away and won't be back till tomorrow. I asked Tim about how we get in but he said he had it all worked out so I need not worry. Tim parked the car just outside the house and started unloading the luggage from the boot. It was very cold outside so Lillian and I stayed in the car. There was a car pulled in the driveway. Tim was talking to the driver but I could not see who it was. After a while, Tim got back in the car and told me that was Albert, one of Mal and Helen's friends and we are going to stay at their place tonight.

It turned out that Helen has asked her friend, Peg, to leave the house key in the letter box for us but Tim coulcn't find it. Albert (knows that there is nobody in the house) happened to drive pass and thought the burglar was loading up the boot so he stopped to see what's going on. When he realised that we were locked out, he offered us to stay at their place for the night. We were really lucky because I don't know what we might do otherwise since it's almost midnight.

Albert and Ivana's place is very nice. It's almost like staying in a hotel. Albert is a well known architect and designer so their place often appears in the magazines.

Mal and Helen came back the next day and we found out that Peg did put the key in the letter box but their friend, Paddy, who has been collecting the mails for them, had a cerebral aneurysm while in Sydney, so another friend, Jocelyn, collected the mails including the one with the house key. It all worked out fine in the end. I was quite worried about Paddy's condition because I have seen many people at MECRS who had aneurysm and I know how terrible it can be. I just hope Paddy is ok. Helen said she'll call to find out more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home