Thursday, April 14, 2005

14 February 2005

My appointment with Prema today was schedule at 11 a.m. After my usual exercise bike and trampoline, I had to get ready to go to VicRoads. I received a notice in the mail (from VicRoads) the other day that they have put a restriction on my license – I can only drive a car with automatic transmission and power steering. It also stated that I need to have another OT driving assessment in October 2006. This is really disappointing. I thought I had finished with those crooks and never have to see them again. I think the OT driver assessor must have imposed on this additional test next year so he can squeeze more money out of me!

The notice from VicRoads also says that I need to have a new photo taken for the license. This is really annoying. I like my old photo at least I think I looked better then. I was thinking when would be the best time to go to VicRoads. I know I can also go to a photopoint to have my photo taken but it would be easier for me to go to VicRoads because I can get my new license straight away rather than waiting for them to post it. I have been checking the weather forecast to see when it would be good day for me to drive to VicRoads. I know it sounds strange and one might ask what does it have to do with the weather. It actually has everything to do with the weather! Before I get my prescription sunglasses, I don’t think I want to drive on a sunny day because of the glare. I don’t like to wear my contact lenses anymore because after haven’t been wearing them for a while, my eyes are not used to wearing them anymore and I always find my eyes very dry and uncomfortable. I told Tim yesterday that if it rains today, I will go to VicRoads and get my new driver’s license.

It was pouring when I woke up this morning so I know it’s definitely the right weather for me to drive. I did my usual exercise bike and trampoline before I started to get ready to go. The phone rang when I was in the shower. I wonder who that was but didn’t bother to get out. I’m sure the person will ring back if it’s important. I checked my mobile phone after I got out from the shower but there was no message. I thought maybe it was some cold calling again. These days I’m home most of the time and I received many calls from charities asking me to sell raffle tickets for them. I found that a bit annoying and told them that I’m actually a bit disabled myself and I don’t go out very much so I can’t sell the raffle tickets for them. They usually leave me alone after hearing that. I have noticed that most of the cold calls call me Mrs van Gelder instead of Teresa. I think that’s a give away for a cold call so maybe in future if I receive a phone call that addresses me as Mrs van Gelder I should just tell say that Mrs van Gelder is not home and I’m just the housekeeper so I don’t have to talk to them. The phone rang again and it was Prema on the phone. She had to cancel our appointment today because she is still unwell. She had acupuncture last Friday and she said the therapist stuck a needle into one of her nerves on her hand and caused some damage. She said her hand is still very sore today and she can hardly use it. What’s worse is that was her right hand and she is normally right-handed. I can understand how hard it is because for a while I only had the use of one hand as well.

After I got off the phone with Prema, I thought I’d better go to VicRoads to get my license. I drove to the VicRoads on Lygon Street. Tim sort of showed me where it is yesterday when we took Lillian to my parents’ place last night. The traffic was better than I expected so I got there fairly easily. It was pouring outside but I felt quite comfortable in the car. I kind of like driving around on my own – I feel that’s my space and I don’t have to talk to anyone or be stared at. When I got to VicRoads, I was surprised to see so many cars in the carpark. I didn’t expect it to be so busy. I didn’t see any disabled parking around so when I found a spot next to a big four wheel drive, I quickly pulled in and parked there. Getting out of the car was a bit tricky. The spot was so narrow and so close to the 4 wheel drive so I couldn’t open the door wide enough for me to get out. In the end, I had to climb out of the car. It was pouring and by the time I got the umbrella out of the car, my shirt was all wet. This is just great – I will have a photo taken with a wet shirt and I have to put up with it for ten years! I had to look around for the entrance to the building. When I found it, I realised that there are stairs that I had to walk down. I saw someone standing by the stairs and as I was walking towards the stairs, she was looking at me. I didn’t really care that I just wanted get away from the rain. As I was walking towards her, I noticed that she looked away. I appreciated that she didn’t stare at me like the doorman did when we went to the comedy festival. As I was walking down the stairs, I could feel that she’s looking but I didn’t bother looking at her. I was glad to Gavin pushed me very hard to walk up and down the stairs like normal people do because this is how I walked down the stairs today (with the rails). I didn’t feel so embarrassed when I walked down the stairs knowing someone was watching because I know she probably thought I had a broken leg instead of a neurological event. I deliberately wore a ¾ pants today so my ankle brace is visible. I’m hoping that people will think I have broken leg or something. When I walked downstairs, I just realised that the disabled parking is right outside the building.

When I went in, I was a bit mortified by the open space – there were many people waiting and it’s quite a distance between the seats and various service counters. I stood by the door and looked around a bit. I didn’t want to walk all across the room that everyone can see me limping and start staring at me. I noticed there is an information desk just a few metres away from where I was standing and decided to go there to find out what I need to do. I was told that I had to go upstairs to have my photo taken. I was glad to find that there is a lift so I took the easy way out. When I got out of the lift, I saw someon taking a ticket so I followed her and took a ticket too. I was a bit scared because there were many people there already and I just don’t want people staring at me. Somehow I found myself walking sideways. That seemed to be the easiest way to walk when I wanted to walk a bit faster. I felt more at ease because I noticed that some people were looking but not in a rude way. I sat down and waited for my number to be called. I didn’t have to wait for too long before I was served. The officer told me to go to the other side of the room to have my photo taken. I had to hand back my old license. He looked at it and asked me why do I need a new lincense. I thought that was a strange question since I’ve already given him the VicRoads notice. I had to explain to him that I had a neurological event and had to have my driving reassessed. Fortunately he didn’t ask me what sort of neurological event I had. He took my photo and handed me my new license.

I had an appointment with Judy after lunch. I tried to do a bit more exercises before she came so she can have more to work on. I told her that Gavin taped my foot yesterday and I walked around without my ankle brace while my foot was taped. I noticed that my calf is quite sore today and I wonder if it had anything to do with the taping. She said it’s good that my calf feels sore – it means it’s been stretched in the right way. She said the ankle brace gives me a sense of security but does not hold my foot in the right position and does not stretch the muscles correctly. She thinks I should have the tape on for longer next time if my skin can tolerate it.

Rosemary came in the afternoon to help me with my exercises. It’s so nice of her to do this. I felt a lot more motivated when someone is here with me. I was telling Judy earlier that it’s amazing how my arm has recovered so well without much help from physio but from the help of untrained friends like Neil and Rosemary. Judy thought that was pretty remarkable but she thinks it’s because Neil and Rosemary are smart and sensible people who listen.

Rosemay is becoming like Neil now. The first thing she did was asking me to show her my exercise book so she could check how much I have done. It’s a bit embarrassing when I have a few blanks. It was quite funny when I started doing the exercises as I was talking to her. She didn’t realise that I had started at first and thought it was a bit odd that I was doing the ‘chicken wings’ as I was talking to her. The giggles started after that! After I finished with the arm exercises, she suggested that I do some walking practice. I did a few laps of walking and then it’s the reaching for the ‘red gerbra’. I think I had a pretty good workout for my arm today. My arm felt quite heavy after the exercises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home