Thursday, March 31, 2005

1 April 2005

I had an appointment with Gavin this morning. On previous occassions I always got there too early. At first I thought it would be good to get there early so I can have time to do a bit more. But I found out later that I didn't really get to do more when I got there early - I started earlier and finished earlier so it's the same anyway. When I got up this morning, I did my usual exercises - bike and mini trampoline. I think I took too much time to have breakfast and shower. By the time I was ready to leave the house, it was already 10.15 a.m. My appointment with Gavin was at 11 a.m. so I thought I still had plenty of time. I called for a taxi and waited in the study. I thought about setting up my laptop but then thought there's no point if the taxi turns up straight away. In the past, the taxi turned up within about 10 minutes. I waited till 10.30 a.m. and there was no sight of my taxi. I called the taxi company again and they told me there's one on its way. Since I've been going to Epworth, my problems with taxi seemed to have stopped. However, I suspect my luck with the taxi has changed again today. Another 15 minutes passed and there's still no sight of it. I called the taxi company again and was told that the taxi picked up somone else instead and they'll send another one for me. I thought about calling Epworth to let Gavin know that I'm running a bit late but then I thought I might just be a few minutes late anyway so it probably wouldn't matter very much. I know from experience that their timetable is fixed anyway so if I'm running late, it just means I'll have a shorter session.

When the taxi finally turned up, it was already 10.50 a.m. I told the taxi driver that I was in a hurry and I've been waiting for an hour for the taxi (a bit exaggerated). I got to Epworth at about 11.10 a.m. - only 10 minutes late for my appointment. Gavin set up a mirror for me to start with the walking practice. I was still feeling a bit flustered from the drama with taxi and my legs were a bit stiff but I know there is no point mentioning it to Gavin because unlike the MECRS staff, he doesn't waste time chitchatting. I guess in a way it's good, I never have to remember what I did on the weekend or whether I had a good weekend. Gavin seemed to be quite busy today - he had to see a few patients at the same time. While I was practising walking, he had to go and check on another patient - an elderly woman in wheelchair. I think she probably had a stroke. There was no expression on her face and she couldn't talk. There was another patient on an electrical wheelchair. I think she probably had a motor accident because she looks quite young but in a pretty bad shape. There is an arm gutter on her wheelchair but she couldn't really use it. Her effected arm was totally pronated and flexed so she probably can't rest her arm on the arm gutter anyway. She cannot speak at all and was making a lot of noise (sounds like she is in pain) when her physio was trying to get her to stand up. I did a few laps of walking and started to get a bit annoyed. I can practice walking at home in my own time instead of using my valuable physio session to practice. Somehow this feels like MECRS again. I was annoyed with Gavin but didn't say anything. It would be unwise to rub him off the wrong way if I want to continue to work with him. I tried to block off my irritation with him. I must admit I was a bit paranoid after watching the movie on TV "What do women want?" a few weeks ago. I always have to tell myself not to have any thoughts because I'm worried that someone maybe able to hear my thoughts like the character played by Mel Gibson in the movie.

Gavin came to check on me from time to time and thought my walking was better and I should try to always walk like that. I told him if I walk like that I'll probably never get anywhere because I'm slow as is and walking like this is even slower. He assured me that this should improve in a couple of weeks. He also got me to walk up and down the stairs again. I think it's getting easier every time. He asked me to go up again and as I was going up, he said I'm actually doing this all on my own. I said yes but I'm using his arm for balance. He told me no because his arm was very loose so I couldn't really use it for balance. When I realised that's the case, I thought what's the point of holding on his arm then so I tried to go up the stairs without holding on his arm for support and to my surprise I was able to do it just as well as when I was holding his arm. I guess he was right, it was all in my mind. This was the first time I went up those grand Victorian style stairs all by myself without holding on anything - although he was right behind me the whole time so I knew I wouldn't fall down the stairs if I slipped. Looking back the first time he got me to go up and down the stairs, it was a real struggle back then but now it's much easier. I'm not sure I'm ready to tackle the steps outside the church I attend on Sundays yet but in time, I should have no problem with it. When I was going up the stairs, there was someone coming down and he commented that I'm doing really well etc. Gavin said hello to him and spoke to him for a while. When he was going up the stairs, he was trying to take 3 or 4 steps at a time. He left shortly and before he was leaving, he wished me good luck and told me that Gavin will work me hard but I'll be able to run one day. I guess he was one of Gavin's patients and it's encouraging to see how well he recovered.

Gavin then got me to do some plantarflexion exercises and then the mini trampoline. I told Gavin that I have a mini trampoline at home but I'm a bit worried I tend to put more weight on my right leg. He said that's ok even if there is more on my right because my left leg will still bear some weight and as long it's get some exercises, it will get better. He told me to practice walking and the trampoline at home for next week. He's away next week so I won't have any physio sessions.

I think Neil and Rosemary would be interested to know that I just did a typing test and my typing speed is 37 wpm with 5 errors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home