Wednesday, March 02, 2005

2 March 2005

I didn't have any session at MECRS today so I was able to go with my own pace and started the day with the exercise bike and mini stepper and then calf stretches.

I had a physio session with Prema in the afternoon. We mainly worked on the arm today. I told her that I want to be able to put my left hand behind my back so I can do up my bra strap. She said that's actually a combination of various shoulder actions - including extension and internal rotation of the shoulder. She has given me some exercises to do when she was here last week. This time, she checked my shoulder again to see the progress. Without any assistance, I could reach T12. She tried to manipulate my shoulder a bit and afterwards I could reach T8.

After Prema left, I was trying to get ready for this evening. We've been invited to Catherine's place for dinner tonight. Catherine visited me every week when I was at MECRS. She and her husband, Steve, are good friends with Tim's brother, Jamie and his wife Christella.

Lillian seems to have caught some kind of virus when she returned from childcare. I gave her a quick bath and put on some clean clothes on her and we were ready to go. The traffic was so bad that we got to Catherine's place in Mt Albert around 7.30 pm - it took us about 1 hour to get there.

The dinner went quite well until Catherine mentioned that her daughter, Rebecca, wanted to ask me a question. At first I thought it was some kind of accounting question but Catherine said no, Rebecca is doing a school project and needs to look up famous people who have disabilities but there is aslo one question: "do you know anyone who has a disability?" Catherine told her that she could speak to me about it. I was stunned for a few seconds. I guess I never see myself as a disabled person and was quite offended by this. I really wished she never mentioned this. I've come a long way since after the operation and have always felt quite positive until now. I hate to think what would a stranger think if a family friend sees me as a disabled person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home