Sunday, February 20, 2005

21 February 2005

It has not been a very good day for me. Woke up feeling quite unwell. Tim was up so many times last night - he caught some kind of bug and was vomitting every couple of hours. He was throwing up very loudly so I could hear it every time. I felt a bit queazy but did not throw up.

I knew I was coming down with something as soon as I woke up in the morning - my body was aching and I was getting hot and cold flushes. This was not very good because my driving assessment was booked for this morning. I felt like postponing the appointment but I didn't think it would affect me too much and I really wanted my license back so I can get around by myself.

I called for my taxi after Tim has taken Lillian to childcare. I didn't want to bother him (to give me a lift) today since he's still quite unwell. I got to Central Brunswick Medical Centre (that's where the OT Driver Assessor operates from) 15 minutes before my appointment time. I was quite nervous sitting there waiting for the OT to turn up. There was no site of him after 10.00 a.m. and I started to wonder whether he was sick today as well. 10 minutes later, I heard a voice and when I turned around, it was the OT. He must have got in through the back entrance because I didn't see him coming from the main entrance. He ushered me to his office and asked me a few questions such as if I had any medication today and if my should is sore. I told him that I was feeling a bit unwell this morning and hoping to postpone the assessment. He told me that it's a bit late to cancel it now and told me to go back to the waiting area to wait for the driving instructor to turn up.

It was a relief when I found out the driving instructor's car is a Mitsubishi Lancer - it's a bit flimsy but at least I know the indicators are on the right. The OT introduced me to the driving instructor, Tony. He would be conducting the test jointly with the OT. I got in the car and adjusted the seat and mirrors. I was quite nervous and tried to start a conversation with Tony and he just ignored me. I don't know Brunswick very well but the route they asked me to go was all around Brunswick. I was going well until they asked me to do a parallel parking. This is probably my weakest point. I couldn't do parallel parking before my illness anyway. The OT's mobile phone was ringing and he answered it. The background talking noise was annoying me quite a bit. After I hit the kerb, the driving instructor told me to pull out and we abandoned the parallel parking. The OT finally got off the phone and told the instructor we can go back now. When we got back to the medical centre, they told me to park wherever I could find a space - this meant another parallel parking. I still couldn't do it properly but this time I was able to park the car. The OT asked me how did I think I went. I told him I thought I went OK apart from the parallel parking. But he didn't think so. He told me that he didn't think I could drive safely (I was surprised that he could concentrate on the mobile phone and my driving at the same time) - I didn't do the shoulder check when I was changing lanes. I told him that I was watching the cars around me through the mirrors the whole time but they didn't think that was enough - they asked me if I could see the 'red car' in the mirror. Of course not - that car was parked on the other side of the road. He also mentioned that I couldn't do parallel parking and what if I have to go to the medical centre and I can't park outside. I accept the fact that I couldn't do parallel parking very well but I felt like telling him that I wouldn't want to go to this medical centre anyway - it's a bit dodgy and I don't like shopping at places that only accept cash. He said I should have a spinner knob on the steering wheel so I can drive with one hand - I mentioned this possibility to Tim before but he really hated the idea. He thinks I should try to use both hands or else my left side will never get better. The OT told me that he wanted me to have two driving lessons and then another assessment. I asked him how much would the driving assessment cost since I just paid $300 for this one. He told me it would be $165 and driving lessons at $35 per lesson if I take it from Tony. I didn't like this idea because I felt they just wanted to squeeze money out of me. I booked a lesson with Tony(unwillingly) and he said he'll take me around the same route they'll be testing me next time - I think this is clearly collusion. For a start, I think he has a conflict of interest. Secondly, I didn't like the fact that they would only take cash. Even when I had to pay the OT the $300, he didn't accept credit card. Fortunately, I had some cash I just got back from Medicare to pay him. I just don't have a habit of carrying a lot of cash with me.

This has just ruined my day. I was quite disappointed that I didn't get my licence back today. I was planning to drive to the supermarket this afternoon and do some grocery shopping on my own. Both Tim and I didn't think I was a bad driver. I was annoyed by the fact that I felt they just wanted to squeeze some money out of me but if I go to another OT driver assessor, I will have to start all over again and I'll have to pay more. Again, I think MECRS should be responsible for this one. Jacqui (OT from MECRS) was the one who gave me a list of OT driving assessors. They should have checked the credentials of these people before giving us the list.

When I got home from the medical centre, Tim was at the door. He's still unwell today has been working from home. I made some miso soup for lunch since neither of us had much appetite. I felt really lousy but the case manager from ARBIAS was coming at 2 p.m. I didn't feel like having the meeting but I thought this could be a better time for a meeting since I was not well enough to do my exercises anyway. She turned up at 2 p.m. but I couldn't remember her name. I told her that I wasn't feeling well but I couldn't find her phone number to cancel the meeting. She gave me another card - with her name, Gillian, printed on it. She brought some information pack from City of Melbourne - apparently there are a lot of services the council provide to people who have disabilities. She asked me about house cleaning. I told that I have been doing that myself - vacuuming and mopping. Apparently the council can provide house cleaning services but she told me it's usually means tested. I'm not sure if I want someone comes to our house to do the cleaning though. I think I'll be too fussy. Even after I finish vacuuming, I often see little fluffs on the floor and I pick them up by hands. I think both Tim and I agree that if you want something done exactly the way you want it, you have to do it yourself. While Gillian and I were talking, Tim rushed to the bathroom again - vomitting. He was so loud that I was a bit embarrassed. I told Gillian that Tim had food poioning and appologised for the loudness of his vomit but she didn't seem to mind. I guess in her dealings with people who had alcohol or drug abuse, she's probably used to people throwing up all the time! Gillian arranged for someone from City of Melbourne to visit next week so we can find out more about the services they provide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home