Thursday, February 24, 2005

25 February 2005

I got up eartly this morning - had to be ready for my swim group which started today. The taxi was a little bit late so I had to rush to the pool when I got to MECRS. I was surprised to find that there were only two other people in the swim group - I recognise one of them - David, from "Life Moves", who is a volunteered instructor. I thought Yvette was going to be here but instead, Adna took the group. She asked me whether I've done any swimming before and if so, what styles of swimming. I was never a very good swimmer - I didn't want to put my head in the water so I used to do breast stroke with my head above the water. I used to wear contact lenses but I only have my glasses on today. I asked her if I could keep my glasses on and she said that's fine except she might get me to take them off from time to time when I need to put my head in the water.

She got me to do a bit of paddling with my legs while using a 'noodle' for support and then try floating lying on my back which was not too hard. She got me to try a bit of breast stroke using a noodle. I found I was going around in a circle like before - I'm still using my right side a lot more than the left side. Fortunately there were only 4 people in the pool today so I wasn't bloking anyone's way. She then got me to practice a bit more paddling with my legs while I held on to her hands for support. I was getting a little bit tired after a few laps. At the end of the session, I met Yvette. She is the one who was supposed to take my gym session today so I was surprised to see her today - I thought she was away today. It turned out that she was meant to do a presentation today but was cancelled so here she was. She told me that after the swim group she'll do my gym assessment. I'm glad I came in today - I almost cancelled my session this morning because I wondered if there's any value in just turning up for one session.

After I had a quick shower, I went to the gym quickly. The gym where all the gym equipments are is also the amputee gym so there were few patients in wheelchairs with only one leg. Yvette got me to sit down on a chair and went through a list of questions with me. I told her that I have an exercise bike, a mini stepper and a treadmill at home so I've been doing exercises at home. She told me that she'll probably get me to do some weight training instead of working on something I can do at home. She couldn't finish all the assessments within the one hour and I was in a hurry to go home because I still have appointments with Judy and then Prema.

Judy, the massage therapist, came around 12.30 p.m. . She said my ankle is so much better these days - she doesn't have to fight very hard with it to make it stay in its natral position. She also told me that there has been a lot of change since the new year - there is a lot more muscle for her to work on. She thinks it's probably due to the exercises I've been doing. She also asked me if I've heard from Epworth to see when I can start going there and finish my program at MECRS. She suggested that she may not need to see me weekly if I'm not going to Epworth because MECRS does not work me hard enough and as a result, she doesn't have much to work on me. I told her that from next week, MECRS scheduled me two gym sessions per week so she'll probably have something to work on.

By the time I had my session with Prema, I was quite tired already. In the middle of our session, the door bell rang and just as Prema was going to answer it, the phone range as well. I answered the phone and it's Neil on the phone asking me if he could visitand update my exercises later this afternoon. I told him I actually feel very tired today so it's probably better to do it on another day. Prema went to the door and it was Dale, the social worker. I'm a bit surprised because we don't have an appointment today - I told him last Friday that this Friday is no good for me and he told me he'd call to arrange for another time but he hasn't called and I just assumed that he's too busy this week. It's a bit embarrassing because he knows Prema is my private physio and he has mentioned in the past that if I'm having too much private treatment, they will have to discharge me. I guess it doesn't matter so much now since they're planning to discharge me soon anyway.

After Prema left, I started updating my diary. I thought I heard my mobile phone ringing but by the time I got to it, I missed a call. I wonder whether it's from Gavin, the physio at Epworth. I checked the number and I recognised it's Epworth's number. This is exciting - I think this could be the phone call I've been waiting for - except I missed the call! Gavin left a message to say that he's sorted out the funding (they had to check with my private health insurance to see if they'll fund the costs) and asked me to give him a call. I called back straight away but missed him. I left a message for him so hopefully I'll have this sorted next week. I'm actually not sure whether I should go to Epworth now given that I have two physio, two hydro, two gym sessions and weekly swim group at MECRS.

As requested by Neil, I just did a typing test and my typing speed is 27 wpm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home