Monday, March 14, 2005

15 March 2005

Tim got up quite early this morning. He had to run a tutorial for a group of lawyers this morning so he had to take Lillian to childcare first and then catch a tram to the city. Lillian seemed very tired. She didn't want to get up and was a bit upset when Tim finally picked her up from our bed. I was in a hurry to get ready as well. My self-help group (hydro) started this morning at 9.00 a.m. I waited till they had left and called for a taxi to get me to MECRS.

I think I was too anxious and called for the taxi too early - I got there about 8.30 a.m. - half an hour before the session starting time. When I got to the pool, I was surprised to see the staff there - I thought it was too early for them. I went up there to pay and started chatting for a while. Since the staff there know me, they were happy to let me get in the pool by myself a bit earlier. I was in the pool by about 8.45 a.m. - 15 minutes before the official starting time. They gave me a copy of my exercise for me to follow but I know them so well that I don't really need to look at them. When I finished all my arm exercises, I turned around to look at the time - it's only 9.00 a.m. People started to turn up now and I counted, there were about 10 people in the pool. Fortunately I got in a bit earlier because I could get to my usual corner. There are many advantages with a corner spot - a lot quieter, you don't have to face people if you don't want to (I normally do my exercises facing the corner so I don't get distracted what's happening around or behind me). The most important point about having the corner spot is that I can put on the float myself (by hooking my feet on the rails and drag through the float under my butt). One very important exercise that I do in hydro is range of motion for my arm - bring up my arm 180 degrees sideways - shoulder abduction. Since it was quite early, I thought I might do another set of arm exercises. After another set, I still had plenty of time so I got to the corner, put on the float and started with my range of movement exercise for my arm. Half way through my exercises, I heard somone talking so I looked up and there was this elderly lady next to me and she asked me if I have finished with my exercises. I told her no and continued on with my exercises. A few minutes later, she came to hassel me again - she said I should hurry up because everyone needs the corner for exercises. I felt like telling her that perhaps next time she can turn up a bit earlier but I didn't want to make any enemies on my first session since I'm new to the group. I gave her the corner spot and grabbed a 'noodle' to practice walking - I found it quite difficult to walk in the pool due to the buoyancy of the water, my ankle tends to invert more when I place more weight on it so I either hop around in the pool with my right foot or I need to hold on to something. After a few laps of walking, that old lady has finally finished so I could go back to my corner. I still had time but I've already been through my exercises twice so I decided to get out. I asked for one of the staff to help me carry my bag and shoes to the bathroom but all the showers were busy so I waited outside one shower. I don't know who was in there but she was really taking her time. I had to wait for a while for my turn.

I had a very quick rinse - didn't bother washing my hair with shampoo - just want to rinse out the chlorine. Before I had a chance to dry myself, I heard a voice outside the shower curtain. I think it's the same woman in the pool, asking me to hurry up. I told her I'll try. I wrapped a towel around me and was trying to move all my stuff to the change room and then I discovered that she has already gone into the shower opposite to mine. When she saw me, she told me that I should hurry up because lots of people want to use the shower. This really irritated me. I know there might be other people waiting (I didn't see any) but I cannot walk without my ankle brace on. It's not that I'm trying to be slow, I tried but I just could not speed up any further. I don't think I can be nice to her if she tries to boss me around again next time.

On the way home, I was in a taxi with the same taxi driver last week. The one who didn't know where Epworth was. I asked him if he was covering someone else's shift again because I thought he normally drives at night. He told me no, he normally drives during the day. I didn't want to argue with him. He was the one who said he normally drives at night so he know all the pubs and nightclubs but not hospitals. Talking about memory loss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home