Thursday, July 27, 2006

28 July 2006

This must be the first time in a while that I post two blogs in a row!

I went to Epworth for physio this morning. I wasn't sure whether Gavin was going to be there given that he was sick on Wednesday. I didn't hear from the receptionist before I left the house so he must be in today. When I walked in the physio treatment room, Gavin was there treating another patient. I thought I saw some scar on his nose but didn't take much notice and just set up a trampoline and started my warmup as usual. It's not until he walked closer I realised that the scar wasn't just on his nose, there were few others on his face as well. I asked him what happened. He told me he passed out and fell on his face and broke his teeth as well. At first, I thought he was only joking. But when I looked more closely, I noticed that his teeth were chipped. I couldn't stop laughing because he just looked so funny. Every time I looked at him, I just had this uncontrollable laugh - something I had at MECRS at one stage. I think Rosemary would probably remember that. I felt so horrible that he had a misfortune and there I was, laughing my head off. In the end, I had to take off my glasses so I couldn't see him so I could stop laughing.

I had my ankle taped again today so I can do some practice in hoping sideways. It's a bit hard to expain what it looks like but it's something that I need to be able to do if I want to do BodyStep properly. It looks a bit like side steps performed on a step with only one foot on the step. If I start with my right foot up on the step, then I need to step/hop my left foot up on the step and bring the right foot down the step sideways. When I showed him the BodyStep DVD last week, he taped my ankle and asked me to practice hopping sideways. Today, he said he'd add a step so I'd need to hop up and down the step. When he was taping my ankle, I explained to him that one of the deficits I still have since my surgery is that I cannot control my emotions and subtleness has never been my forte. I was trying to justify why I laughed at his misfortune. I feel guilty and a bit embarrassed that I laughed at him like that. I was so rude. I'm glad I didn't have my contact lenses on today, otherwise, i would never be able to stop laughing at him. I thought about start wearing contact lenses again since I go to the gym and classes all the time and in some classes such as boxing and pilates, it would certainly be easier with contact lenses.

I'm glad I had my ankle taped because when I was practising, my left foot actually slipped and I almost twisted my ankle. I would definetely hurt it if I didn't have my ankle taped.

I was glad that I was able to verify this question I had fo\r a while with Gavin today. All my therapists, from personal trainer to even my massage therapist, think that I might be over training a bit given that I do between 10 to 13 sessions of gym and classes a week. Ana, the gym staff/exercise physiologist, thinks I'm definitely over trained but she is not sure whether it's a problem in my case. I asked Gavin about that and he said defintely not. I told him that I remember asking him about what I should do last year and he told me that I have to work very hard at the gym till I'm absoultely stuffed. He said that's right. I told him that you can only feel really stuffed a few times and then you have to increase the intensity of the workout to feel stuffed and that's how I got to 13 sessions now. He said the only problem may be that I over train and I feel very run down and walk worse because I'm very tired but otherwise, there is no problem at all. I also asked him about weight traing and how some people say you can't do weights every day because the muscles need time to repair themselves. He thought in my case it doesn't matter because I'm not a body builder and I'm not using heavy weights. It's reassuring to find out from him because now I have the license to do even more :-)

I told him that what doctors don't tell you is that you have to work extremely hard to get fit and the fitter you are, the less you will be affected by fatique. I mentioned to him that I never knew rehab could be so much fun and I think I'm fitter than I have ever been. He didn't think so. He said he thought I would have been pretty fit before when i was dancing. I don't know about that, maybe I was but I just didn't know. I know this sounds really sick but I'm actually very happy with all the gym sessions and classes and am quite excited about leaaring and acquiring new skills. I told him that sometimes it's dangerous to be distracted by all the differnt classes you can go to and I was quite excited about this new short course that's coming soon - a short course in kick boxing. But then again, I may be setting too many goals and got all distracted by too many things and not focusing on more important things such as running and gait. He didn't think so. He thought it's good to go to all different classes and he thought I should check out kick boxing just to see what it's like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home