Friday, March 24, 2006

24 March 2006

Very BIG news today - I'm running!!! I had my my physio at Epworth this morning and I think it's official that I can run because Gavin told other people that I can run and also videoed me running. He said it would be good to video me running now and compare it in a few months. I didn't know I could run (or it's counted as running) because I'm really lobsided and my feet are wide apart when I run. This is really exciting me for me because I have been working very hard at this for some time now and is a bit frustrated that I wasn't getting anywhere. I remember when I was still at MECRS, Jane, the physio who treated me when I was an in patient, said I'd be running by the next Olympics. That's still 2 years away! I'm lucky that I have been referred to Epworth and found Gavin there.

I have been dreading this afternoon for a few days now. Ever since I had the incident with Alex, the operations manager at the sports centre, I became very worried that he'd pick on me again when I go to his class. I planned to go this afternoon because there is Body Step right after Body Pump so I can attend one after another. When I was at physio, I asked Gavin about the exercises we were going through on Wednesday and he was supposed to make comment. He handed me two envelopes - one for Alex and a copy for me. I was surprised that he's so organised.

I wasn't so sure about my 3 remaining planned sessions after I return from physio. I did lots of running and was a little bit tired. I planned to go to the gym and then attend Body Pump and Body Step. When I called Tim after lunch and told him about my plan and that I wasn't sure whether I should go, he said ' I don't say this often but don't you think you're pushing yourself too hard?' I couldn't believe my ears! It's unlike him to say something like that. I had to push myself in going to the gym and then drag myself to the sports centre to attend the classes. I got to to the sports centre an hour before the class starting time to make sure I could get a ticket to Body Pump when they start distributing tickets. When I went around the corner to check the timetable and instructors for the classes, I saw Alex walking towards me. I felt really uncomfortable and couldn't decide whether I should say hello to him or just pretend I didn't recognise him. He said hello to me and I was surprised that he remembered me and my name. He said he's spoken to Gavin and received the letter in the email. I told him I have the original letter and handed him the envelope. He said he was trying to explain to Gavin that Body Pump is not just your normal weight training because there're so many repetitions and you go through them so quickly in the class. I told him I would not use weights for squats and lunges and that I will only use the bar for overhead presses. He said that's fine and he demonstrated how I should do my squats - stick out my butt rather than just going down straight. I told him I'll be going to his class later anyway.

I went to the BodyPump class and everything was fine. He didn'y pick on me this time. He came around and helped me a bit when we were doing the tricep pushups but didn't say anything. I didn't get a chance to talk to him afterwards because Body Step was right after so I don't know whether he thinks I'm ok to continue attending the class. I think he noticed I was staying for BodyStep because I saw him hanging around for a bit just to watch what I was doing. I had a platform/step in front of me but didn't actually use it. I always do that in BodyStep. People probablt think I'm insane because I don't use so why bother. It's my strategy of creating a bit of space for myself so people don't get to close to me and block my way. Unlike Body Pump, there is no restriction on number of attendants so it can get very crowded sometimes. I think i made a mistake by getting a backcorner spot in BodyStep because when we turned to face the wall I had nobody in front of me to follow - something for me to think about next time.

I quite like the Body Step instructor, Tracey and would always talk to her before and after the class. I told her I'm still finding it hard to keep up but is slowly getter better. She said she's glad to see me keep coming to the class. I told her this was my 4th session of the day. She said I'm an inspiration for many people. I don't think I am because not many people know what happened to me but it was nice of her to say that anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home