Friday, October 21, 2005

21 October 2005

I woke up in the morning feeling really tired. I only had massage and didn’t do much exercise yesterday so I suspect it’s the accounting work that tired me out. I’m still madly trying to finish all the accounts, BASs and tax return for Tim. I hate being an accountant!

I went to my usual physio session at Epworth. Ruth was not there when I got in the physio treatment room. I didn’t think it matters very much because I know what I have to do anyway. Gary came in in his electric wheelchair. He has been assigned to Elise while Gavin is away. I think Elise hasn’t been there for very long, probably only 3 or 4 months. She reminds me of Abby from NCIS ( a TV show on ten). I know she worked at Caulfield Medical Centre before she came to Epworth. I never asked her what’s that place like. Actually, I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to her. Maybe it’s the fact that she worked at Caulfield Medical Centre somehow puts me off because Fary Khan, my consultant at MECRS, is also a consultant there.

I started with my walking practice in front of a mirror and Ruth came in when I started to wonder what I should do next. She said she found my exercise card. Apparently Gavin has written up my program on it except I’ve never seen it before. Ruth showed me the card and it’s just my arm and shoulder exercises. She said sometimes in physio sessions the physios concentrate too much on the legs and neglected the arms. I think that’s quite true. She suggested that I spend about 15-20 minutes doing those exercises on a physio bed first and then I can do my running practice. She set me up on a physio bed and handed me a 1.5kg dumb bell. I told her I thought I should use the 1 kg dumb bell. She said Gavin must have upgraded it to1.5kg because that’s written on my exercise card. Damn, my plot didn’t quite work! My arm was still very sore from yesterday’s massage and my triceps feel really tight so I thought maybe I’ll take it easy for a few days. No such luck!

I noticed the room was actually very quiet without Gavin. Gary was chatty as usual but not very loud. Elise was speaking very softly and I could hardly hear her. I didn’t have to put up with the ‘background radio’ while doing my shoulder exercises. I had to take little breaks between sets because my triceps were really sore. I remembered what Judy told me yesterday so I thought I’d better do some stretches as well. The only way I can stretch my triceps is doing it against the wall. As I was doing the stretches, Ruth came in to check on me. I told her I was just trying to stretch my triceps and she told me to lie down on the bed and she’ll help me to do that. As she was helping me to do the stretches, she noticed that my triceps were very tight. She also commented that I have very long armsw and told me to move up the bed and also to the edge of the bed so she can stretch it out more. I know I have very long arms but I didn’t realise that until I was training for ballroom dancing with Tim. I think our coach pointed out that my arms are much longer than Tim’s. I told Ruth that I just saw my orthopaedics on Monday and he said my shoulder is doing well. She looked a bit confused so I had to explain to her that I was referred to the orthopaedics because I had subluxed shoulder. She asked me which rehab hospital did I go after my operation and how long was I an in patient for. I told her I was at MECRS for 10 weeks. She asked me what did I think of the physios there. I didn’t know what to say but now I know the health care industry is not as bitchy as the accounting firms I had to be diplomatic about this. I thought for a moment and told her that the physios there were very gentle and it’s probably because most of the patients there are elderly. She said yes, Epworth is quite unusual because it tends to get a lot more younger patients and there is a difference on how you treat the elderly patients. Just from doing the stretches she said my shoulder is actually pretty good. Gary was also saying that in the background. I thought maybe I could ask Prema to help me stretch out my shoulder every time I see her. I know it’s probably not enough but it’s better than nothing.

After the arm stretches, Ruth noticed that I still haven’t done two of the exercises on the card so she sent me back to finish those before my running practice.

My arm was feeling very heavy by the time I got on the trampoline. When I was doing my running practice, the ‘background radio’ was switch on. I could hear Elise and Gary talking about pays. Elise was complaining that they don’t get paid very well and Gary was saying that they should get paid more. I have no idea how much physios get paid because I’ve never had any physio or allied health clients. I would hate to think that they get paid less than accountants or even worse, financial planners. After months of treatment at Epworth, I really admire what the physios do for people and I have a lot of respect for them. I hate to think that they get paid less than financial planners. But then again, most people don’t get paid as well as financial planners because most people don’t work on commission basis. I remember many years ago, I went to a seminar for financial planners and the car park was full of Mercedes and BMWs. I remember a collegue of mine was really impressed by that and said you can tell how successful they are by the sort of cars they drive. A very shallow comment. Thinking about this reminds me of the movie “American Beauty’. I remember the character Carolyn Burnham, played by Annette Bening, who is a realestate agent, said ‘to be successful, you have to be perceived to be successful’. I know that’s the reason why many chartered accountants drive luxury cars. One of the partners in the last accounting firm I worked for was like that. He has a holiday house in Sorrento, drives a BMW four wheel drive, sends kids to private schools but in reality, was deep in debt. He had to borrow to fund his lifestyle. I have to say that I chose to study financial planning because I found it interesting but I was disgusted by it after I found out how the industry operates. I guess I’m just a little upset to find out that physios don’t get paid very well when I think they have done a lot more for me than a financial planner would ever have. Another point to mention is that I read a survey on the Internet the other day and the Americans think the most respectable jobs are: fire fighters, doctors, nurses and teachers. The least respectable jobs are realestate agents, financial planners and accountants. I’m not surprised by this at all.

Ruth came to check on me and got me to try to run on land. She thinks I’m doing better but I think it’ll be a while yet before I can master this. I remember it took me a while to be able to jump onto my right foot because it involves pushing off my left leg. When I first started, Gavin used to get me jump off a box and eventually I can push off through my left leg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home