Monday, October 10, 2005

11 October 2005

I had personal training with Mary this morning. My leg was very sore when I woke up this morning. I think it’s from the running and jumping I did in physio yesterday.

It’s kind of strange not going to my hydro on Tuesday mornings since I’m so used to it now and I think my body actually misses the warm water. I know I can just have a hot bath but it’s a bit different in a hydro pool because I can move around and do a bit of swimming as well.

On my way to the gym, I was really concentrating on my arm swing. Gavin said people don’t actively swinging their arms when they walk, the arms just swing when they walk. I notice that my arms tend to swing normally when I walk if I can relax my left arm. As I walked passed the Trinity Foundation building on our street, I noticed there were a couple of guys standing there discussing something about the building and pointing at it. One of them saw me coming, smiled at me and said:”you duffer, what did you do to yourself?” I think he probably thought I broke my leg because I was wearing my ankle brace. I know he meant well but I didn’t think it was necessary for me to tell him my life story so I just told him it’s not very exciting and walked off.

Going across the road was a bit challenging this morning – only because this person thought I was going too slow and decided to overtake me. That alone is ok but then he decided to stop when he got to the other side and I almost bumped into him. I had to stop and start again. I found my gait and speed changed as I stopped and started again. I guess Gavin is right in saying that outdoor walking is better than walking on treadmill because it’s uneven surface and in this case, I had to adjust for other people’s unpredictable behaviour. These days, when I cross the road, I always press the button with my left hand but sometimes I wonder if people notice that something is wrong with my left arm/hand.

I didn’t look at my watch until I got to the gym – it’s just about 10.50 a.m. My watch is usually a bit fast and my appointment with Mary was 10.45 a.m. I didn’t think it matters even if I’m 5 minutes late because from experience she is rarely there on time. To my surprise, when I walked into their office, they were all there – Mike, Ann-Marie and Mary. Mary said she’s starting to get worried (because I was running late). I think ever since Gavin told me what he thought of her, I found it’s almost becoming like ‘self-fullfilling prophecy’ because even a comment like that tends to annoy me. She told me that she’s got some new exercises for me. She took me to the downstairs area of the gym. I don’t actually like going there because the stairs slow me down and I think we waste a lot of time in our session just walking around. The new machine she mentioned a few weeks ago has arrived – a hack squat leg press. She said she wanted me to try it and see how I feel. I tried it and found my it really works my quads. She also got me to try a machine that works the calves. We tried this a while back but it was too heavy for me back then. Now, it’s a lot easier for me to do the calf raises on this machine. In fact, it was getting too easy for me that she had to add some weights on.

I met up with Rosemary after personal training and she walked me home. When I got out of the gym, Rosemary said I looked so perky she almost didn’t recognise me. It was so nice to see her since I haven’t seen her for a while.
When we were crossing the road, she pointed out to me that I was so much faster than before and I could cross the road quite comfortably without using the strategy I was using before. I think that’s true because I can’t remember the last time I used my old strategy in crossing the road. The problem I have now is sometimes I get caught in the middle of crossing the road because the green light has been on for a while and just as I start crossing the red light starts flashing and it’s quite stressful trying to quickly walk to the other side.

I picked up some mails in the mail box when we got home. There is a letter for me but no sender details. The writing and the ink look really familiar but I couldn’t tell who is it from without opening it. I put it away and thought I’d open it after Rosemary has gone. I really enjoyed catching up with her except Jill, the social work from ARBIAS, turned up on time for our appointment at 12.30 pm. I told Rosemary before Jill came that I had this appointment but it’s probably ok because Jill is usually late. For once, she is actually on time and for once I wished she wasn’t so I could talk to Rosemary a bit longer.

Jill came to talk about closing my file. She thinks I'm doing so much better since she last saw me and doesn't think I need them much longer. I managed to persuade her to get someone to catch the tram with me a few times. It's something I want to practice doing but a bit scared to do it on my own. As we were talking, she mentioned something about she can spot people who had ABI from alchohol abuse. I asked how and she told me they have special gait. I was intrigued. I thought all people who have had brain injuries would walk like I do but apparently not. She said these people tend to have their knees turned out when they walk.

After Jill has left, I went back to open the letter I had collected earlier. To my surprise, it was actually from Rosemary. She described it as ‘an email by post’. It’s so nice of her to send me a note with comments on my blog. I think it’s always so nice to know that people actually read it. I know she and Neil and also Neil’s mother in the US have always been reading it. The letter was written in a true ‘Rosemary style’ – with it’s grace and elegance. I don’t know how to describe it but I think it’s just the very refined mannerism makes it very ‘Rosemary’.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home