Wednesday, October 05, 2005

5 October 2005

I had another personal training session with Mary this afternoon. Prior to my session, I did some research on the Internet about hip weakness and knee internal rotation because when I told Gavin about my problem he said it’s due to hip weakness. I just want to find out more about it. Ie, which muscle groups in the hip are weak so I know what to work on.

I got to the gym a bit early so I waited for Mary in their office. Mike, Mary’s boss, is there. He asked me how my training is going and whether I’m happy with Mary. I didn’t know what to tell him. I do have some issues with Mary but I thought it’s prbably best that I talk to her directly rather than through her boss.

I told Mary about the research I’ve done on hip weakness and knee rotation. According to the articles I found – mostly in the area of sports medicine, the knee tends to rotate internally when the hip muscles – esp hip abductors and external rotators such as gluteus medius are weak. I told her about it and she went on about how my medial knee muscles are stronger than the lateral muscles. I now understand why Gavin said there is a lot of problem solving skills required in physio. I think Mary doesn’t know what she is talking about because if the medial muscles are stronger, my knee should be turning outwards not inwards. I actually found the exercises that I need to do on the Internet but thought there is no point talking to her first. I thought I’d better check with Gavin first if what I read is correct before I tell her. Otherwise, I just waste a lot of time talking instead of working.

Sometimes, i think maybe I'm a bit too harsh on her. Tim thinks her role should be pushing me hard so I would work harder and she is not meant to be a physio. The only problem is that sometimes I just don't feel anything in the muscles that are supposed to be working and when this happens, she doesn't know what to do. I suspect as my muscles get stronger, I can actually feel more when it's worked. I know my quads are stronger than my hamstrings and I found that it's easier for my quads to feel it's been worked than the hamstrings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home