Wednesday, October 05, 2005

3 October 2005

Can’t believe it’s October already. Time seems to go so quickly (even when you are not having fun). I did lots of walking over the weekend. We took Lillian to the zoo on Saturday and we walked around quite a bit in there. Yesterday, we went for a long walk in Royal Park.

One very exciting thing to mention. I finally met Mary Galea, Professor of Phsyiotherapy at the University of Melbourne , on Saturday. It turns out that we go to the same church, St Carthages on Royal Parade. I remember seeing her before but didn’t know who she was. It was only through Tim, I was introduced to her. I have heard so much about her and her experiment on the monkeys. When I was at MECRS, Jacqui,the OT, told me that I should not expect full recovery. I didn’t agree and told her about Mary Galea’s monkeys. She asked me if I know that Mary’s monkeys were left with some deficits. She thinks that the monkeys were left with some impairments and a full recovery is unachievable. I mentioned this to Tim and asked him to ask Mary for me but he said I should ask her myself. It’s easy for him to say because I’ve never met her before. Now, I finally have an opportunity to ask her in person. I was glad to find out that her monkeys were all recovered with hardly any deficits. She said another group did the same experiment later but provided training to the monkeys and the monkeys recovered much quicker than the previous group. She mentioned again that it’s only by using the effected hand more that I can get better.

I went to my usual physio session at Epworth this morning. My legs are still a bit tired from yesterday’s walking. I actually had a lot of questions for Gavin. I know Carr & Sheppard recommended using treadmills for stroke patients and when I was at MECRS Fiona used to put me on treadmills. I haven’t used it ever since I came to Epworth. I borrowed a treadmill from my parents a while back and to be honest only used it once. Tim thinks it’s taking up too much space and wants to return it to my parents. I just need to find out from Gavin if there is any benefit for me to use the treadmill. Also, when I was practising jumping on the trampoline last week, I noticed that I was jumping on the trampoline, it has a lot more sping/bounce than if I jump on the ground and I just wondered what produces the spring/bounce feeling. Sometimes, I wonder if other patients have as many questions as I do. I haven’t noticed other people asking so many questions. I feel that it’s bit like dance training, I need to know the theory and technique to become a better dancer.

After a few laps of walking practice, Gavin told me to practice running on a trampoline. I told him that I was going to practice this on the weekend but have forgotten the pattern already. He said there is no particular pattern, all I have to do is to move the left leg faster. Gary came in when I was practising. I was curious to find out how he felt after the Botox on Friday. He said he didn’t feel any difference. After practising running on the trampoline for a while, Gavin told me I can try practising running in the walking rails. I asked him about what muscles generate that spring/bouncey feeling. He said it’s the calves. I don’t know if other patients have as many questions as I do. I asked him again which part of the calf muscle does it, is it the gastrocnemius or the soles that does it? He said it’s both but gastrocnemius is more dynamic and is used in jumping. I don’t know if any other patients bother to find out all this but I actually find it interesting. I thought since rehab is my full time job, I might as well make the most out of it, including learning as much as possible.

I think my ankle inversion is a lot better these days because I can actually do jumping and running practices without taping or ankle brace.

While I was practising running in the walking rails, Skye, the hand therapist/OT, came over and tried to schedule an appointment for me. Since she also needs to see Gary, I will have to see her either before or after he sees her. Gavin said I could come to physio an hour earlier so I can see Skye after my physio. My appointment with her starts next Monday. I’m quite looking forward to it. Hopefully, she’ll do a full assessment on my upper limb and let me know what I need to work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home