Thursday, July 28, 2005

28 July 2005

I had personal training with Mary this morning. Today we mainly worked on the arms. I told her that I prefer not to work on my arms on Tuesdays because I work mainly on the arms when I go to my self help group hydro and I think it’s a bit too much for the arms if I work on them again in personal training.

I told her that I think my session with her on Tuesday was good because my leg was quite sore aftwards and it’s good kind of soreness. She thought that’s a good sign. She said she’ll try something different with my arm today. I told her that my orthopaedic said my shoulder is doing really well and I should have more strength training. I noticed that she has written this down as I was telling her.

I think she probably got the idea that I want to work harder so when she got me to start on some exercises with lighter weights and then gradually increased the weights. Although she still asked me quite often if my arm felt ok. I told her my arm is fine and even if I was feeling tired I would still expect her to push me to do more. She agreed. I hope this is enough to get her to drive me harder because I don’t know what else to say to her otherwise.

After my session, I met up with Neil and he walked me home. He commented that I’m walking faster but I didn’t feel it. To prove this, we walked across Royal Parade without applying my usual strategy and he is right I was able to cross the road before the light changes. I told him that I’m still nervous that I can’t cross the road before the pedestrain’s light starts flashing. He didn’t think that ‘s much of a problem because he said even he cannot do that sometimes. He said he and Rosemary were very pleased to see that I have been updating my diary again and that they were happy to see that I actually enjoyed my shopping on Monday. I told him I don’t know whether it’s because I actually feel more comfortable to go out or it’s because I had someone there with me. I mentioned to Neil that on the Monday when I went to Myer at High Point, the lady at the Chanel counter actually gave me this really unfriendly stare when I went and asked her if they have Christelle body lotion. She told me they don’t have that in stock and then she looked at me up and down and told me that she is sure they will stock it in the Collins St store. I didn’t like being stared at like that but she didn’t intimidate me. I remember at the time I was just thinking ‘stuff you for staring at me like that. Besides, it’s her loss for not being able to sell me something’. It was probably the first time since my operation I was not intimidated by someone’s rude stare. Neil was very happy for me and insisted that I put this in the blog.

In the afternoon, the sun came out and it looked really nice outside. I have been thinking about going to Brunetti to get some cake for Gavin for a while. He has helped me a lot and I saw some patients bringing in some cake and stuff. I can’t really bake so the easiest thing to do is getting something from Brunetti. Since it’s such a nice afternoon, I decided to go there today. When I was just a street away from the shop, I thought I saw a parking spot but had to stop because of the light just turned red. I was very anxious because it’s pretty hard to find parking on Faraday Street. While I was waiting for the light to change, I saw a fourl wheel drive just pulled in the spot I saw before. I wished I had beaten the red light but it’s too late now. When the light finally changed, I was getting even more anxious about parking. To my surprise, I spoted some parking spots on the other side of the road so I turned around as soon as I could. There is a disabled parking spot so it’s perfect for me. Just when I was about to switch off the engine, I noticed that a car just about to leave a parking spot closer to the shop. I think my prayer has been answered. I was praying when I stopped at the light that I'll be able to park somewhere closed. I quickly drove into that spot and parked there. This is so much more convenient than the disabled parking spot because it’s half a street closer. I didn’t expect Brunetti to be this crowded but I suppose it’s still lunch time for some people at 1.30 p.m. I didn’t bother using the padestrain crossing this time since Faraday Street was not that busy. This is also the first time I J-walked after my operation. When Neil walked me home from the Melb Uni gym this morning, I told him that one of my goals is to be able to J-walk Royal Parade. I guess this is only the first step.

This is another good practice for me because I had to walk pass all these people sitting outside the café and I had to deal with their stares. Maybe I was just concentrating on getting to the shop because I didn’t actually notice any stares from people. When I went to the counter, I had to wait to be served because there were many customers waiting. I noticed the lady before me was very well groomed – with full make up on and painted long finger nails. When I looked around I notice that most people there were quite well dressed or at least in business suits. I was only wearing my gym outfit – runners, 3/4 length crop pants and fleecy sports top. Maybe I was too busy thinking about what to get because I didn’t feel embarrassed by my shabby looking outfit at all. I know the Italians usually dress well and that café is quite trendy and is the sort of place you want to be seen to be sipping your coffee but this is probably the first time after the operation I was able to face people in a place like this and not feeling terribly uncomfortable. The girl who served me was not very friendly but it didn’t bother me very much. I got what I had to get and walked out of the shop and walked passed the people who are sipping their coffee in the sun and felt proud of myself. I know my walking is far from being perfect but compare with a year ago I have come a long way.

When I got home, I still had a bit of time before my appointment with Judy so I decided to take a walk to the post office. My friend's birthday is coming up on Sunday so I thought I should send her a birthday card. I walked to the post office to get some stamps and to post the card. It was a pleasant walk because it’s a sunny afternoon. My leg is a little bit sore from the walk but it’s good kind of sore. I think I must be a sucker for punishment because these days I actually quite like the feeling of muscle ache after a good workout. It’s one way to know that I’m doing something good to strengthen the muscles.

Judy, the massage therapist, said she noticed there is some change in the leg. She thinks my leg has been working hard and it’s very good. I told her it could be due to the use of leg press for the first time on Tuesday. I’m a bit worried about her though, she told me she is going for an operation tomorrow to remove a gall stone. She said the doctor said she’ll be out of action for 2 weeks. This means I won’t see her next week. The way she described it sounds like it’s going to be very painful and I just hope everything goes well with the procedure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home