Monday, July 25, 2005

25 July 2005

I think I should try to update my diary on a more regular basis. I think Neil is right, it does help me with my typing a bit. I will, however, try to keep it simple.

I went shopping today! The social worker from ARBIAS has arranged for a personal carer attendant to accompany me to do some ‘girly things’ with me. I spoke to her a few months ago about how I felt terrible about myself and didn’t feel like going anywhere and she suggested that she’d get someone to accompany me going out and do the things I would like to do. I have met the personal carer attendant, Lynn, previously. She accompanied me to my hairdresser last time.

I told Lynn last time that I want to get a pair of jeans and some pants so she suggested that we go to High Point shopping centre in Maribyrnong. I have only been there once before but I didn’t go to any shops there. Jacqui, the OT from MECRS, took me there once to practice using the escalator.

We picked a Monday morning because that’s really the only free time I have. I think I must have improved a lot since last time I was on the escalator. I didn’t have to think very hard getting on or off it this time. The shopping centre is quite big so we walked around for a bit. I’m not sure if it’s because Lynn was there with me or I’m more used to the crowd, I didn’t find it too traumatic walking around crowded area. For once, I didn’t even notice if people were staring at me because I was limping. I think it definitely helped to have someone there with me so I didn’t feel so isolated and maybe in a way it helped me to be less self-concious. I haven’t been shopping for a long time and today was the first time in a while I actually enjoyed being out and about and I actually enjoyed shopping. Tomorrow will be a real test on whether I’m more used to crowds and being less self concious because uni started today and I have my personal training tomorrow afternoon which means I have to face more people in the gym and on campus when I go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home