Sunday, July 17, 2005

18 July 2005

I have been struggling to update my diary lately. I guess it’s because I haven’t been able to finish my diary during the day and by the time Tim comes home I don’t have access to the study so unless I finish my diary during the day, it just doesn’t get published. I have drawn up a weekly planner these days because I found I have quite a lot to do in a week and I need to plan my time better. In a week, I have two physio sessions at Epworth, one session of self-help hydro at MECRS, two personal training seesions at the Melbourne Uni gym, one physio session at home and one massage session at home. This is really making rehabilitation my full time job.

I had a pretty wasteful morning. I went to see my orthopaedic surgeon, Martin Richardson, in the morning. My appointment was at 9.45 a.m. and I made sure I arrive just on time – not too early, not too late. His medical suite is just right across the road from Epworth Rehabilitation. I thought about arranging physio session with Gavin after I see Martin but judging from last time, he might be running late again and if I miss out physio at 11 a.m. I would have to wait till 1 pm for the next session. I don’t want to hang around for hours just to save $30 on taxi.

Just as well I wasn’t going to physio today. I waited till 10.30 a.m. before I went to the receptionist to check if my appointment is at 9.45 a.m.. She confirmed that my appointment was scheduled at 9.45 a.m. but Martin is running a bit late and I should be next. ‘A little bit late’? I don’t think 45 minutes is a little bit late. By the time he sees me, it’d be an hour late.

I was right, by the time I saw him, it was already 10.45 a.m. He checked my shoulder and said it’s looking really good. John (the rehab specilialist who is always on the phone) and his team have done a great job. I felt like throwing up. John has done absolutely nothing and his team (Gavin) has given me some exercises but that’s about all. What about the help from Prema,Neil,Rosemary and Judy? I guess when I’m recovering well people just assume the rehab professionals have done a great job. I asked him about not being able to pull up my arm straight close to my ear but he said it will come when I build up more strength. I asked him what exercises should I do to have a full recovery. Again, he said whatever I’m doing now is great so there is no need to change. He thinks my shoulder has recovered about 85%. I told him that I started some personal training last month and what should I do with my shoulder. Again, he said whatever I’ve been doing is fine. Why did I bother asking I wonder.
That was the end of my appointment and he said he’ll see me in three months time.

I must say I’m a bit disappointed with him. I’m glad that my shoulder is recovering well but not too impressed when he’s so vague about what exercises I should do to gain a full recovery. Again, I felt I was being taken for granted. It’s very hard for me to make my voice heard when I don’t have a lot of confidence in myself. I don’t think it helps anyone if you limp when you walk and feel you look terrible the whole time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home