Thursday, June 30, 2005

1 July 2005

Today is the first day of a new financial year. I remember my first job at an accounting firm, there was this parterner who was a bit carried away and was wishing everyone a happy new year on 1 July. People thought it was a bit stupid.

I had an appointment with Gavin this morning. Tim agreed to accompany me to the session today – mainly due to he really wanted to watch the show MDA on TV last night. It’s on the same time as ‘The Amazing Race’, a trashy program I’ve been watching every week. Tim was trying to convince me to let him watch MDA so he agreed to come to my physio session today.

We were lucky to get a parking spot about 100 meters from the entrance of the rehabilitation centre. When we were in the car, Tim asked me what’s the purpose of his visit. I told him that I need him to find out for me what I should be doing outside physio and also to keep an eye on the personal attention I get from Gavin during the session because I feel I’m always stuck in a session with at least one patient in wheelchair and I’m often left to practice on my own. I also just wanted Tim to see the situation I’m in.

When we walked in the physio treatment room, I went to put away my handbag and jacket because Tim wouldn’t want to be seen carrying my handbag. When I’ve done that, I sat down on a bench waiting for Gavin. I told Tim that he could sit down if he wanted to but his mobile rang and he was busy talking on the phone. When Gavin came in, he told me to start with some walking practice. I had to explain to him and Kathy that Tim is there with me because they started to get a bit worried that some stranger just wondered in. Gavin asked me if Tim is here to have a look what I do in physio. I told him yes. After a few laps of walking, Gavin taped my foot and asked me to go to the trampoline and do the jumping exercises. When Tim came back after he finished talking on the phone, he came to see me doing my trampoline exercises. I have practised a little bit yesterday at home. I was so sick and tired not being able to jump with my left foot so I was practising jumping on the trampoline yesterday. I think the practice has paid off. I was able to lift up my left leg more on the trampoline today. I did this for a while until Gavin came out to check on me. He introduced himself to Tim and told me to go to the walking rails to practise jumping.

He set up a box for me and asked me to jump up the box landing on my left foot and then down landing on my right foot. This is the exercise I dreaded because I found it very boring. Again, I was left there to practise on my own while Gavin works on Gary, the guy who had spinal injury. Fortunately, Tim was there with me so I was not so bored. When Gavin came over to check on me, he asked me to practise jumping off the box and land on my right foot. I tried that for a while without much success. Gavin helped me a little bit by lifting me up a bit when I was jumping off so I know what it should feel like. When I was practising this, Tim was able to have a chat with Gavin. He basically asked Gavin about the Botox and what sort of exercises I should be doing. Gavin told him that the people who recovered well are the people who worked really hard. I guess I’m prepared to work hard but I just don’t know what I need to do. I didn’t hear everything they talked about but Tim told me afterwards that I just need to work harder at the gym. I was glad that Tim accompanied me there today because he could see that Gary was wasting everyone’s time and was not really serious about his progress. It really annoys me because the fact that he talks all the time is wasting his own time, Gavin’s time and indirectly, my time as well. Sadly to say, he is funded by TAC so in a way, every motorist’s money.

When I came home, I got out my new exercise book and wrote up a new program for myself. I asked Tim to get an exercise book for me like the one Neil and Rosemary got for me previously. I guess this is like a new year resolution for an accountant. I’ve decided that I’m going to start recording my exercises again like before and work very hard at it again.

I tested my typing speed again today and it’s 35 wpm with 7 errors or 28 wpm net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home