Tuesday, March 29, 2005

30 March 2005

This is my first diary entry since the Easter break. I think I'm going to update the diary on normal working days as part of my rehab. If I treat rehab as my full time job now, I should expect to work 5 days a week except on public holidays. I must say I was so tired after the Bobath course - my muscles were aching for days and I almost could not move. I had to cancel my appointment with Rosemary last Friday. I was just so tired that I had to have a few days off. I rested on Friday and Saturday. I started doing some exercises on Sunday and by Monday, I was feeling a bit better until I had a sore throat. I think I might have got it from Lillian. She had a bit of cold last week and is still coughing.

I had an appointment with Gavin this morning so when I got up, I was on the exercise bike for 25 minutes and then the mini trampoline. I think I'm getting better on the trampoline but Tim is a bit concerned that all my weight is on my right side when I'm trying to jump on the trampoline. I had a very strange dream last night. One thing I noticed after my operation is that I don't have many dreams(or at least any dream that I can remember) these days. But the dream I had last night was so vivid so I remember it quite well. I dreamt I was running! I told Tim about it and he thinks that's probably a good sign.

I haven't been feeling well since last night. I think I'm coming down with a cold or something. I felt a bit anxious this morning because I didn't feel like too much hard work today and I don't think Gavin will be sympathetic. When I got to my appointment, Gavin asked me about the Bobath course. I told him that the course was good but it was a bit depressing to find out that I have more problems than I thought I had. I gave him the envelope with a report written by the two physios from the Bobath course. I didn't tell him that I actually opened it and made a copy for Prema. He didn't seem to notice the envelope was opened anyway so I didn't bother telling him. He asked me to walk around and how did I feel about my walking. I told him that my gait has changed since the coure but I cannot tell exactly how it has changed. Tim thinks I'm just having a regression and it's very frustrating when that happens. I personally didn't think I gained much benefit from the course even though at the time it felt like I was getting a lot of benefit. None of the exercises I did there I can do on my own. I felt like I was just a Guinea pig for the course. I didn't tell him that because it would be too undiplomatic to do so. He thought my walking was not that bad and I was actually able to take a bigger right step. He then got me to stand in front of him and he tried to move my weight to the right and step forward with my left foot and then shift weight again and step forward with the right foot. He said this is what normal walking feels like but it felt very strange to me. I guess I haven't been walking normally for over 9 months now and I cannot remember what normal walking is like anymore. He got a mirror for me and asked me to practice walk up and down in front of the mirror. He said if I want to walk normally, this is what I have to do. I think Tim is right again, this is like practising the Rhumba walks in ballroom Latin. Tim always thought there is a lot of similarities in ballroom dancing and walking training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home