Tuesday, May 22, 2007

23 May 2007

Just got back from running group at Epworth. Had a pretty good session today. I'm starting to realise that running is like those group fitness classes I've been attending - it's like skill acquisition - it takes practice and it takes time to improve.

My running is definitely getting better. Prema has been working on my running as well. For a while, I was getting a bit frustrated with not getting enough attention from Gavin in the running group so I asked for Prema's help since she has been working with me since I first came home from the hospital. She said she doesn't have a PhD in running like Gavin does but she can give it a try anyway. She gave me some exercise to do to make my running more symmetrical, which has always been my problem, a few weeks ago. When I went to the running group a couple of weeks ago, when I complained to Gavin about the symmetry problem, he gave me exactly the same exercise Prema has given me. This has given me even more confidence in her ability. It goes to show that yo don't need whole lot of experience in neurorehab or a PhD in running. You just have to be smart to know how to solve problems.

There were only a few people in the running group today and most of them went to the carpark for longer distance running. It was good that way because Gavin stayed with me and a couple of other guys in the lawn area. He spent a lot of time looking at my running and gave me various exercises to try.

James, the guy who had a heart attack, turned up quite late today and joined us as well. The rule of the running group is that you have to do one push up for every minute that you are late. I think he was about 20 minutes late. When Gavin reminded him of the rule, he said he can't do pushups etc. Gavin insisted that he try. I almost feel sorry for him and volunteer to do it for him. He kept going on about he can't etc and Gavin said he doesn't know anyone in the running group who can't do pushups. James pointed at me and said to Gavin "what about her?" Before I even opened my mouth, Gavin said to him "I'll bet my house that she can". Well, it looked like he had a lot of confidence in me. I told James I couldn't before but now I can. I just think it's interesting to look back and see how much progress I've made.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that I used to panic and worry about not having as many physio sessions with Gavin as previously because I feel going to the place is very normal and I feel very safe there. Now when I go there, I actually feel the place is not normal at all. I feel going to the gym and the classes are a lot more normal than going to physio.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home