Thursday, March 09, 2006

10 March 2006

A quick update on my progress/condition. My case manager at work has decided to increase my work hours from next week. I will be working 5 hours on Mondays and 2 - 3 hours on Thursday. They allow me to work from home on Thursdays to start with so I'm not complaining too much. I had a shoulder MRI in early February and I only got the result when I went to see my orthopaedics, Martin Richdardson, the week before. The MRI showed I have shoulder bursitis. Since it's not causing me much grieve at the moment, I refused to have another cortisone injection when Martin mentioned it. Even though he said I can have as many (cortisone injection) as I want, I still don't feel comfortable since it's basically a type of steroid.

I have been going to the gym diligently. It's a bit unpleasant now the students are back. There is almost no off-peak period at the gym now the semester started. Apart from working out at the gym, I also went to some group fitness classes. Tim accompanied me to the BodyStep (aerobics class using adjustable platforms) and BodyPump (exercises using weight adjustable barbells) classes in the last couple of weeks. I know I can probably attend on my own but I found it a bit scary and intimidating at the moment especially it's mobbed by students. I think I got to a stage that I feel quite comfortable and confident going to the gym on my own but not so when I go to the classes. The only class I have been attending on my own is pilates. I think it may be because I started with the short course and I try to go to the class taken by the same instructor who taught the short course so I feel I already know someone and am more used to the way she runs the class.

I think it's good to go to these classes because I tend to always find new problems in the classes - the things I should be able to do but cannot do (yet). I know I can do lots of strength training at the gym but I think my muscles work differently when I'm doing something different from working on the machines. For example, I thought my quads are so much stronger now that I can work much harder and lift heavier weight on the leg press but I was surprised to find that my quads and gluts were so sore after doing lots of squats in BodyStep and BodyPump. Even Judy, my massage therapist, pointed out that she could tell i worked really hard on the legs but it's different from before. She asked me what I did in the last week or so.

On another note, my running is coming along slowly. Gavin said I should be running by Easter. I think it's good that he is back. I think he is really the best when it comes to running training. I know all the physios there know how to teach their patients to run again but so far he is the only one who knows how to fix up my specific problems one at a time and then putting everything together. I know I can always ask him why I need to do certain things and he can always tell me the theory behind it. It's important for me to do the theory so I understand why and what I have to do.

I went to the gym this afternoon and Neil walked me home afterwards. Neil noticed my walking is so much better than a few weeks ago. I'm glad he pointed out to me because I can't see myself. I told him it may be due to Prema has been working on my gait over the last few weeks and I have been practising in front of the mirror at home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home