Thursday, January 05, 2006

6 January 2006

First diary entry for the year! Tim and I went to the ANU gym on 3/1. It was the day the gym reopened after the Christmas break. I was a little bit disappointed with the equipment when we got there. I thought the equipment would be a lot nicer just from looking at the website. The gym reminds me of the horrible gym I went to with my friend a few months ago. I was surprised to find that the minimum weight on the leg press machine is 40 kg. I was a bit annoyed that there is no clear markings on the weights, it says 40/75 so I assume it's 40 kg. I'm not sure what the 75 was. The equipments are old and bulky and I even had difficulty adjusting them. Fortunately Tim was there with me so he was helping me with adjusting the seat/height. We were there for about an hour and I managed to do some strength training and some cardio exercises. This was the first time I went to the gym in about 10 days. The strange thing is I didn't feel tired at all while I was there and when Tim dragged me out of there I felt I could do another round of everything i just did. My muscles were really sore by the time we got home and I could barely walk.

We went to the gym again yesterday. I dicided that I'd try to go to the gym every second day instead of everyday because I can give the muscles a bit of rest in between. The gym was very crowded yesterday. Tim and I thought it was funny that we saw a couple of guys talking and hogging the machines on Tuesday and we saw them again yesterday and they were still talkin. Tim thought it was very funny when I asked him if some people go to the gym just to talk. I just thought that's a strange thing to do because every time I go to the gym I'm busy doing the exercises and I don't have time to talk.

When I was on a step machine, I noticed a woman who walked pass was walking a bit funny. She was talking to her friend but I noticed her walk was not quite normal. At first, I thought she had this hemiplegic gait (circumducting instead of swinging her affected leg) as well. I watched her very carefully for a while and noticed that one of her legs was covered in a skin colour stocking. The colour is almost exactly the same as the skin of her other leg so you can hardly notice it. I only noticed when she was doing some ab exercises on a fitball and I could see a little bit of crease on the stocking as she bends her knees. I suspect she has a prosthetic leg because when she straighten her knees, I could see that the two knees don't look the same and I could almost see the joint of the leg I suspect is an artificial one. I don't know if I have correctly spotted that because I thought if she'd be wearing long pants tpo cover it if she had a prosthetic leg.


Before I came to Canberra, I thought I had gotten over the ståge of feeling intimidated by people all the time. Now I feel I haven't actually quite got over that yet. I don't know if I'm being sensitive or the people in Canberra are particularly rude. I found that sometimes people on the street stared at me rudely when I'm limping. I found it strange that if I wear shorts and show my ankle bracce, people are more sympathetic because they often think i have a broken leg. However, if I wear jeans to cover my brace and wålk with a limp, it's not acceptable to people because I attract a lot of rude stares that wåy. I wonder if there was any studies done on this. Why is it more socially acceptable to have an orthopaedic injury but not an impairment caused by an ABI?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home