Thursday, September 08, 2005

8 September 2005

I can finally get back to my blog now. I hope Tim has all the information the venture capital people needed. I put the last page of printout he needed in the folder this morning and felt a bit more relax. Fingers crossed, I hope this is all they wanted. I told Tim last night that I was getting quite sick and tired of it all. I wonder if this means I’m not quite ready to go back to work yet.

It’s a bit difficult to write up my blogs for the previous few days. I thought about writing the second part of 5th September blog but couldn’t remember all the things I was going to write about now. Maybe it makes more sense just to summarise it.

Well, John Olver, the rehabilitaion specilialist, agreed to refer me to see the OT. I guess I’ll need to follow it up at some stage.

On Tuesday morning, I went for my usual hydro at MECRS. I thought I finish next week – when I first sign up to join the self-help group, they told me each person can only go there for six months. I checked with the person who collects the money at the desk and she told me I have till end of September. I know I probably don’t need hydro these days and I think Gavin is right in saying that I can work a lot harder on land but I found the best way to check on my inversion is actually in the pool. When I first tried to swim, my ankle was inverting a lot. Over the last few months, I found that I could actually control the inversion a lot more than before. Last week, I don’t know what happened but my inversion started again when I tried to swim. Even Judy noticed that when she was doing the massage – sometimes my ankle inverts because of the pain (from massage).

I tried swimming again when I was in the hydro pool and to my surprise, my ankle didn’t invert at all. There were only five people in the group on Tuesday morning so I had a lot of space to swim.

When I was trying to finish the accounts stuff for Tim in the afternoon, the phone rang. It’s Tim on the phone letting me know that he’s stuck in a meeting and I’ll have to pick up Lillian from the childcare. The childcare closes at 6 p.m. He called at 5.30 p.m. It was very stressful to drive in peak hour traffic whith almost no petrol left in the tank as the petrol indicator lighted up. This is the first time I went to pick up Lillian from childcare. I haven’t done it before because she is so active now and I’m worried that she’ll run onto the busy road when we go to the car. I had to ask someone from the childcare centre to help me get her in the car. It’s not so bad once she’s in the car seat because when I parked in front of our house, I unfastened her seat belt and she was able to get herself out of the car and walk to the house.

I had my usual physio at Epworth on Wednesday morning. When I walked in there, Gavin was treating Sam, another patient of his. He told me to do a few laps of walking practice and then he told Libby, a physio assistant like Tracy, to take me outside and stretch out my calf a bit. He said he has a surprise for me when I come back. When I went back to the room after some calf stretches, he told Libby to take me outside for a walk. This is walking without my ankle brace on. I asked him if this was the surprise. He said yes and asked me if I was expecting a box of chocolates. I was actually expecting something a lot harder than this. It turned out that he asked Libby to time me while I walked outdoors on Erin Street on the footpath. When we were heading back, a woman came up to me and I realised it’s Florence from my Life Moves group when I was at MECRS. She said she saw me from a distance and recognised me. I asked her if she has caught up with anyone else in our group. She said I’m the first person in the group she saw. It’s always nice to see a familiar face but I couldn’t talk to her for long because I was in the middle of my physio session. When we got back, I checked Libby’s stop watch. She said it’s about 13 minutes or so but because I stopped and talked to someone so she should take off a minute or so. I asked Gavin if he knew har far I’ve just walked. He didn’t so he sent Libby back to measure the distance. I was told later that it was a 500 m walk.

I did more arm exercises and finished off with pushups against the wall. Just before my session finished, Gavin asked me how I went on Monday (with John). He told me he actually mentioned it to John in the morning (that I want to see an OT and a neuropsych) before my appointment. I was surprised that he actually remembered. I don’t think John remembered at all because he didn’t mention anything when I saw him. I told Gavin that John said my insurance won’t pay for the neuropsych so he’ll arrange it for me to go to a public hospital. Gavin was surprised and said he’ll check it for me from Lynn, the lady who organises all the rehab programs there. He said he thought my insurance is pretty good and should pay for this as well. He said Lynn is actually away sick but he will ask her to find out for me when she returns. I know this is not his business but I really appreicate that he takes the trouble to help. I think although he looks a bit scary (with his crew cut) but he is actually quite a nice person.

I had personal training this afternoon. I think Mary is actually getting better now because today she pushed me so hard that I almost didn’t think I could walk home afterwards. I think it's the leg press that did it. She added more weight on for me today to push me a bit harder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home